The Water Warriors are a team of scientist from the University of Akron that are working to bring spectroscopy to the masses. We took 3rd place at Erie Hack competition and have been featured by various news outlets.
Outreach with local scout group
Biology Poster Award
Nanoslit Paper Published!
A collaborative study with Jianjun Wei’s lab at UCNG was recently published:
Protein Trapping in Plasmonic Nanoslit and Nanoledge Cavities: The Behavior and Sensing
Scientific Reports Paper
Dr. Smith is quoted in a recent feature article in C&EN News. The article describes a new wave of research to better characterize how lipids influence membrane protein structure and function.
Credit: Cedric Govaerts
Link to website (paywall): http://cen.acs.org/articles/95/i9/Lipids-affect-function-membrane-proteins.html
Link to PDF: Lipids affect the function of membrane proteins February 27, 2017
Cone Opsins on the cover!
Dr. Smith’s Tenure Tour
In anticipation of applying for tenure next year, Dr. Smith has increased his travel schedule. Below are a list of locations and dates of 2016-2017 academic year presentations:
- July 26, 2016 – SBCB Seminar, Department of Biochemistry, Oxford University, UK
- Sept 22, 2016 – Physics Department Seminar, Wayne State University
- Oct 11, 2016 – Interdisciplinary Research Seminar, Institute for Biophysical Dynamics, University of Chicago
- Oct 24, 2016 – Chemistry Department Seminar, Emory University
- Oct 27, 2016 – Chemistry Department Seminar, Case Western Reserve University
- Nov 11, 2016 – Chemistry Department Seminar, Penn State University
- Nov 30, 2016 – Chemistry Department Seminar, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Feb 8, 2017 – Biophysics Colloquium, Cornell University
- Mar 10, 2017 – Biophysics Seminar, University of Michigan
- Mar 30, 2017 – Chemistry Department Seminar, University of Pennsylvania
- Apr 4, 2017 – ACS National Meeting, San Francisco
- Jun 5, 2017 – Gordon Research Conference on Membrane Protein Folding